LahaulSpiti is a remote valley located in the north eastern parts of the mighty Himalayas. The very fact that they are located at an altitude of 4800 mts above the sea level makes them a perfect destination for adventure lovers. The topography consists of deep valleys, soaring mountains, lush forests and a cold desert which makes the valley a perfect delight for every tourist.
1. Trekking:There are several trekking routes available for the trekkers. You can select the one that suits your requirements. Most of the trekking routes pass through dense forests and are extremely challenging. You can also take an overnight trekking tour and go for camping instead of staying in a guest house or a hotel. There are several camping options available for trekkers. Camping is the best way to spend some time close to the nature.
2. Skiing: Snow clad mountain peaks of Spiti are the picture perfect place to enjoy skiing. If you are an expert, you can go skills on your own but if you are a novice, it is better to take professional guidance. The ski slopes near the Kaza village are almost 13 kms long and are best if you want to enjoy skiing without facing any risk.
3. River rafting:Earlier rafting in Himachal was limited to Beas river in Kullu valley and one or two more locations, but now you can enjoy rafting on the Chandra river too. The rafting route will test your patience at several points and is extremely challenging but you are sure to have the time of your life after this ride. This is one of the best ways to discover unexplored regions of the valley while satiating the adventurous soul inside you.
4. Paragliding:There are several destinations across the valley that present options for paragliding to the tourists. If you have the time, you can also get yourself enrolled for a short duration training course in paragliding.
5. Mountain cycling: If you like to stretch your muscles and want to check your stamina, go for a cycling tour on the mountains. This activity is not only quite adventurous, it also presents you an opportunity to discover the mountains and soak in the beauty as per your wishes.
6. Yak safari:If you are not one of those highly adventurous souls and want a somber activity for yourself, you can surely try Yak safari. You can hire a yak and go for exploring the local beauty of the valley on your own pace.
Tip: Don’t forget to visit the wildlife sanctuary located in the valley. You can also go for fishing and angling at several points.
Even though the valley witness extreme climate in winters and remains almost cut off from the mainland for several months, the summers saw a large influx of tourist looking for virgin locations to give solace to their souls. If you are also looking for a perfect location to spend your vacation, it is best you back your bags and head on to LahaulSpiti valley.